The Dog-in-a-Doublet pumping stations are situated on the river Nene immediately downstream of the Dog-in-a-Doublet sluice.
The new station constructed in 1983 comprises of 2 No 692mm dia and 2 No 556mm dia electrically driven fully automatic Sulzer pumps. The total capacity being 213 T/min or 3.6 cumecs. The catchment area of the station is 2484 hectares with a lowest land level of 0.0m ODN, some 4.0 metres below the high tide level in the river Nene
The old pumping station was constructed in 1938 on the site of the old navigation lock, the lock pen being used as the outfall to the station, the walls and copings still being visible. During the 1980’s the station was considered to be redundant. However, due to further industrial and residential development it became clear that in order to give developers a 1 in 100 year storm protection in the catchment as a whole and to complement the adjacent electric pumping station the old station would be refurbished and updated, installing 2 No. fully automatic Cummins diesel engines driving the original 800mm Gwynnes pumps. The capacity being 133T/min or 2.2 cumecs.
Go to the Catchment and Pumping Stations map.