Poplars Pumping Station
Constructed in 1979 s part of the North Level Major Improvement Scheme. It was designed to evacuate surplus water from an area of 1119 hectares of predominantly agricultural land, but there are approximately 150 houses that benefit from the protection given by the pumping station.
Poplars Pumping Station consists of two 500mm diameter axial flow Weir pumps, each with a capacity of 46 T/min or 0.8 cumecs, both powered by 45 kw Brush Compton Electric Motors. The pumps and electric motors are of all weather construction, the electrical control switchgear being housed in a purpose built brick building. The pumps discharge directly into the North Level Main Drain via twin steel pipelines some 10m long.
Go to the Catchment and Pumping Stations map.